Thursday, May 15, 2008

Kimchi (As Promised)


Here is the recipe that I followed. This is very similar to the Filipino "acharra" but instead of shredded green papaya, this uses cabbage. Jescel too, used cucumber in her ingredients (Spice of Life blog). This is rather spicy while our own local version is more on sweet and sour, not hot. But this could go well with grilled meat or fish. I think people who love spicy food would like this.


Ingredients

• 3 cups coarsely shredded Napa cabbage (8 ounces)
• 1 medium carrot, julienned
• 1/2 medium red bell pepper, peeled and julienned
• 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, peeled and julienned
• 1 scallion, thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 2 tablespoons julienned ginger
• 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
• 2 teaspoons Chinese chile sauce
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
• 2 teaspoons sweet paprika


Directions

1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the cabbage and blanch for 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold water. Squeeze the cabbage and pat dry. In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the carrot, bell peppers, daikon and scallion.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the soy sauce, honey, ginger and garlic with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the fish sauce, chile sauce, the lime, lemon and orange juices and the paprika. Pour the mixture over the vegetables and toss well. Let cool. Transfer the vegetables to a tall airtight jar, cover and refrigerate for 2 weeks.

4 comments:

Tinggay said...

Does it taste good?

The_Sphinx's World said...

I don't like it much. I like the sweet and sour taste of our "acharra".

SheR. said...

Oh my mum absolutely LOVES Kimchi!!! I can't stand the garlicky smell!!! My aunt took a plane to Korea once and they served Kimchi on the plane. The whole plane was full of the Kimchi stench!! Eeks.. I wouldn't like to take the plane!!!

Koreans can make kimchi with anything veg! White Radish, Cabbages.. the list goes on.

The_Sphinx's World said...

I understand your hating the stink Sher. My father, who was a pure Chinese immigrant, used to make his own kind of kimchi. He preserves a lot of radish on a clay jar and whenever he opens it, I always ran outside. I just can't stand the smell of radish even now.